Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Kind of Blue (part 1)

It has been said that jazz history can be divided into two segments: “Before Kind Of Blue and after Kind Of Blue.” In 1959 Miles Davis recorded Kind Of Blue and “More than forty years after its release, it is still one of the most-sought-after recordings in the country; in fact, as late as 1998 it was the best-selling jazz album of the year.” The story behind Kind Of Blue is essential to understanding the sociology of jazz and serves as a good case study for understanding jazz theology. The album was “created…because the most important jazzmen in the modern scene desperately wanted to change the way they played their music. This need was not purely musical; it had more than a little to do with the changes then going on in American society, especially concerning the lives of African-Americans.” “It should never be forgotten that the depth and beauty of jazz have arisen from centuries of injustice, brutality, fear, and pain, none of which were passively accepted but were met with African-Americans’ resistance, striving, and hope for a more benevolent future.” Kind Of Blue marked an “end of an era” for jazz music and the beginning of something fresh—not just emergent but also convergent. I see a day that this whole modern/postmodern emergent debate/conversation is divided into two era's: Before Jazz Theology and after Jazz Theology. Over the next few posts, I am going to unpack the significance of Kind Of Blue and its' contribution to jazz as we know it. This will be essential to understanding some of the basics of how the African-American experience informs our theology. Kind of Blue is essential listening for any wannabe jazz theologian, that is, those who desperately want to change the way theology is done. If you do not have a copy, you might want to purchase one along with an album that is pre-Kind Of Blue so that you can compare and contrast. Perhaps some big band jazz…I would suggest something by Duke Ellington (if you can get an album with the song, "I got it bad and that ain't good," it will be worth it.) As we go on this journey, it is essential that we understand what life in America was like in 1959. So I ask you, “How would you describe American life during the 1950’s?" (All quotes above are from Eric Nisenson’s fine book, “The Making of Kind Of Blue.)

10 Comments:

Blogger jazztheo said...

"resistance"

I'm not sure why you say that you don't see the black world as having resisted that much at all...all I see throughout black history is resistance, defiance and the search for dignity inspite of being dehumanized.

Don't mistake the "Yessah" as a lack of resistance...It might just be the presence of "loving ones enemies."

11:20 PM  
Blogger jazztheo said...

I'm with ya...I was looking at the Nat Turner Rebellion, the slave church, the under ground railroad, Malcolm X and the Non-violent resistence of King...and thought that you were saying that you didn't see African-Americans resisting much.

I think that you are absolutely right in reference to the 1950's (since that was the era I was asking about, way to read the question Pete!). There was a collective trauma brought on by jim crow in the south and despair in the north that smothered the spirit of resistance.

love you man!

7:38 AM  
Blogger existentialist said...

How can I describe life in America in the 50's when I was not even alive back then and my parents were little children. I will have to call my grandmother and ask her.
Want me to do that? :)
My grandfather is in a nursing home in NY and barely remembers me, otherwise I would ask him too.
Sheesh, you ask hard questions man!
Oh I know, I could ask my ex mother in law and father in law.
Not.

11:06 AM  
Blogger jazztheo said...

Oly your great,

I wan't alive in the 1950's either, so let's get some first hand knowledge. I'd love to know what your grandmother has to say about the 50's in general...and specifically what what does she remember about music? Race relations?

11:10 AM  
Blogger Fresh said...

LOVE it!

3:31 PM  
Blogger existentialist said...

Jazz Theo - Well I have had a horrendous day and I can not call her, so I will write to her.
Please pray for me a sinner.

5:50 PM  
Blogger jazztheo said...

Lord Jesus,
Go before, be with, come behind our sister Olympiada. Give her your grace and mercy this day.

And all the people of God said...

8:53 PM  
Blogger existentialist said...

Thanks JazzTheo I felt your prayer today. Will you pray for me tonight too?

Hey I just told someone else this, but did you know the American Protestant Fundamentalists and Right Wing Evangelicals spoiled the Bible for me?

8:56 PM  
Blogger existentialist said...

Prayer too. I am in a war. I am attempting to step out into the secular world as an EO and I can not do it. I am caught like the proverbial deer in the headlights. I am scared. I want to bolt...There is real hatred for Christians in the liberal community. I can not take it. God help.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Ookami Snow said...

intresting stuff, I didn't know there was that much too it.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home